Welfare Reform Update and Information Sharing
Date/Time: 27th March 2013 10:00 am -1:00 pm
Venue: Voluntary Action Islington (VAI), 200A Pentonville Road London, N1 9JP
For Refugee Community Organisations, BME forum and Islington Faith forum members in Islington.
Many of us wonder about what is going to happen and who is going to be affected by the changes in the welfare reform and where to turn for help when we need. We are privileged to have Lorna from Islington Law Centre to deliver this important training/awareness raising for our service users in Islington. Lorna has been delivering specialist welfare benefits advice for 20 years mostly in Islington, so has a great wealth of knowledge and expertise.
The following will be covered during the session (10:00 am – 12:00 pm)
- The main changes that have happened/will happen under welfare reform;
- The anticipated impact on your client group e.g. Local Housing Allowance
- restricting maximum housing benefit for privately-rented accommodation;
- Universal Credit and the overall benefit cap and its impact particularly on larger families and/or families living in privately rent accommodation in Islington;
- Changes to the qualifying criteria for disability and sickness benefits;
- Changes to the social fund and the Local Council Tax scheme.
- support in the borough; who is delivering advice on these matters;
- The importance of early referrals to specialist advice.
Other updates and Information sharing (12:00 pm – 12:45pm)
- Short presentation on TASER rollout in Islington – by Islington Police Representative.
- Information sharing and future forum sessions by participants
Light refreshment will be provided
If you are interested to attend, please e-mail us at email@example.com or call Eyasu Buba on 020 7832 5847 to book your place.